A New York appellate court has reinstated gag order prohibiting Donald Trump and attorneys from making public statements about the courtroom staff in the ongoing $250 million civil fraud trial.
Judge Arthur Engoron originally issued barring the former president from making any statement regarding his court staff after Trump has made numerous attacks on a clerk, who as per him, is bias against him.
The court papers reveal that Engoron and his clerk were subjected to hundreds of threats last week. The latter received 20 to 30 calls per day to her personal cell phone and 30 to 50 messages daily on social media platforms and two personal email addresses.
The appeals court had paused the gag order earlier this month, but on Thursday said it should be restored while the official appeal is pending.
During a break in the trial Thursday morning, Engoron announced the appeals court ruling reinstating the gag order.
Reacting to the instatement of the order, the former president’s attorney, Chris Kise said, “It is a tragic day for the rule of law, but we’re aware.”