Key Lime Pie embodies a harmonious balance of flavours that captivate the taste buds with each delightful bite. This iconic dessert offers a zesty and refreshing twist, boasting a unique blend of tangy, citrusy notes from freshly squeezed key lime juice. The filling, a luscious combination of sweetened condensed milk and vibrant lime juice, creates a creamy, velvety texture that melts in the mouth. Its distinct tartness is beautifully complemented by the sweet and buttery graham cracker crust, providing a perfect contrast in both taste and texture.
Beyond its delectable taste, Key Lime Pie possesses an inherent sense of nostalgia and tradition, evoking memories of breezy summer days and coastal vibes. The pie’s vibrant greenish-yellow hue, coupled with its alluring aroma and creamy texture, makes it an inviting and refreshing dessert, especially ideal during warmer seasons. The simplicity of its ingredients and the ease of preparation contribute to its timeless appeal, making it a beloved treat for gatherings, celebrations, or simply as a delightful ending to any meal. Whether enjoyed alone or topped with a dollop of whipped cream, Key Lime Pie remains a cherished dessert that captivates palates with its unique and invigorating flavour profile.
For the crust:
– 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
– 4 large egg yolks
– 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
– 2/3 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice (regular lime juice can be used if key limes are not available)
– Zest of 2 limes (optional, for added flavor)
For the whipped cream topping (optional):
– 1 cup heavy whipping cream
– 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
3. Press the crumb mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie dish to form the crust.
4. Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, then remove and let it cool while preparing the filling. Leave the oven on.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Gradually add the sweetened condensed milk while whisking continuously until well combined.
6. Stir in the freshly squeezed key lime juice and lime zest (if using) into the egg mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
7. Pour the filling into the cooled graham cracker crust and spread it evenly.
8. Bake the pie in the oven for about 15 minutes until the filling is set but still slightly jiggly in the center.
9. Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours, or until the pie is thoroughly chilled and set.
10. For the optional whipped cream topping, in a mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract, and continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
11. Serve the Key Lime Pie chilled, optionally topped with whipped cream.
Enjoy this tangy and refreshing Key Lime Pie with its buttery graham cracker crust and zesty lime filling—a perfect blend of sweet and tart flavors! Adjust the sweetness or tartness according to your taste preference.